Mental health support

Urgent help in a crisis

If you need help during a mental health crisis or emergency, NHS urgent mental health helplines provide:

  • 24-hour advice and support - for you, your child, your parent or someone you care for
  • help to speak to a mental health professional
  • an assessment to help decide on the best course of care

Find a local NHS urgent mental health helpline

If you live in England and are aged 18 or over, you can access NHS psychological therapies (IAPT) services.

A GP can refer you, or you can refer yourself directly without a referral.

IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies) services offer:

  • talking therapies, such as cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), counselling, other therapies, and guided self-help
  • help for common mental health problems, like anxiety and depression

See problems that IAPT services can treat

The problems that IAPT services can treat include:

  • depression
  • generalized anxiety
  • social anxiety
  • panic and agoraphobia
  • other phobias
  • obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
  • post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
  • irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
  • body dysmorphic disorder

You need to be registered with a GP to get talking therapies on the NHS.

talking changes (Durham)

We accept referrals from anyone over the age of 16 who is registered at a GP in the County Durham and Darlington area.

Telephone: Monday to Friday from 9 am to 5pm
0191 333 3300

Visit website talking changes

If you are under the Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys Crisis Team for more information go to

Non-urgent advice: If you would like to talk to a doctor

If you would like to talk to a doctor about your mental health please contact the Surgery and arrange an appointment.